More summer

More summer

Hempathy has been a long-standing summer favorite. This season we introduced a print version of, Hempathy Prints. Ten different color combinations were selected to match solid colors in the Hempathy line. You’ll find the print colors here

The fiber content and length/weight is the same as for the solid colors but the Prints are available in 100 g balls.

My first project was this simple basic sweater in the Bear in Mind colorway. I edged it with cast-on + 1 row using the matching solid green.


Then came Bea


Bea is an airy top, straight with a boat neck and short sleeves. The pattern is placed in a V-formation that comes naturally with this pattern. It is placed mostly above the bra line so its transparency is not an issue.

The name of the lace pattern happens to be Bumble Bee because of its resemblance to my favorite pollinator and the name Bea was chosen because it is homonymous with said insect.

I figured that the pattern is distinct enough to be highly visible in the print version of Hempathy, so I chose the New Orange colorway, and I was right. Here shape, pattern color and yarn co-operate to create a true summer favorite. And it’s fairly quick and easy knitting too.

Bea is available for download at my Ravelry store

Photo as always Anders Rydell


Ghita and Tinalee

My two summer tops this year.


Ghita is a versatile and relaxed top. Easy to knit, easy to wear, a very “summery” garment, and Hempathy is the perfect yarn for it.


For a long time I’ve been wanting to knit a project across, instead of bottom-up. My issue has been that I haven’t been able to find the combination of pattern and shape that will work together so that the drape of the garment is to my satisfaction. Then I stumbled on this openwork basketweave pattern and something clicked in my brain. Combining it with cable panels knitted across might solve my dilemma.

Using the cable panels as a yoke gives the top a stability and then the basketweave pattern can flow freely from there. The fact that it is knitted from the yoke down has the added bonus of making it easy to adjust the length to your preferred proportions.

Tinalee combines easy elegance with a touch of romance.


I’ve been wanting to use this lovely lace panel for quite some time, especially using the arrow-shaped beginning. Here the lace panel is worked on a stockinette background and placed on the upper part of the front only. The rest of the top is worked in a simple knit and purl textured pattern.


There’s no shaping at the sides, and no shaping for armholes, instead a drawstring at the waist supplies shaping possibilities when you wear the top. The lovely Hempathy yarn is supple and cool. Crocheted picot edgings add to the romantic feel.

I enjoyed making them and wearing them, I hope that you will too.

Both are now available for download at my Ravelry store

Photo by Anders Rydell

A new kitchen

A new kitchen dictated a need for new potholders.

Since potholders are basically smallish squares with a loop for hanging, potholders can be used for experimenting with new techniques. Now, I wasn’t really in that place, too much going on in my life. What I needed was zen knitting.

And this is what I came up with; using garter stitch and modular knitting it became fun and I ended up with a new (at least to me) way of picking up stitches along garter stitch edges that makes the fabric more reversible. Here it is:

A more reversible method of picking up stitches along garter stitch edges


Insert a double-pointed needle (I used a circular) into the little knotsat the edge, created by the garter stitches, 1 stitch to each garter ridge. You may have to add the last stitch in the form of a loop.


Pull the needle through so you can start knitting from the correct end of the work.


Knit (you’ll need to knit into the back loop of the stitch on the first row)!

That’s all there is to it.

My Hempathy yarn is very suitable for kitchen duty; sturdy, washable and slightly antibacterial (in a natural, non-aggressive way) thanks to the hemp content, but too thin. So after a couple of trials I decided to use three strands held together. The potholders are somewhat slippery until they’ve been washed.

This is he first pair of potholders knitted to match my new kitchen. I will post more versions later on (I ended up knitting several for friends and family). This is a perfect gift and the design works for many styles from ultra modern to more traditional.

Here’s the recipe:

Potholders / Hot pad

Knitted with 3 strands of Hempathy on US size 8 / 5 mm needles to a gauge of approximately 18 stitches and 36 rows to 4 x 4 inches / 10 x 10 cm. Note that this means the same number of stitches and rows. The gauge isn’t important; a lloser gauge will make the potholders larger and a tighter gauge will make them smaller. What is important is that they are thick and firm enough to isolate the heat.

Each potholder is 32 sts x 32 garter ridges (64 rows). The cast-on row is counted as row 1 and you’ll bind off on row 32.

I’ve used 2–3 colors and each potholder weighs just under 50 g, so 3 balls of Hempathy would make a matching set of 2 potholders and a hot pad. This is also a perfect way to use odds and ends.

Cast on 18–22 sts and work 62 rows of garter st (31 ridges). Bind off but do not break the yarn. Pick up 1 st in each garter ridge (see above) until you have 32 sts.

Now work 20–28 rows of garter st (10–14 ridges).

The total number of stitches + rows should be the same in each direction, in this case 32.

Bind off all sts but do not break the yarn (except for the hot pad). Now crochet 15 single crochet. Pull yarn through and fasten to make a loop.

I hope you’ll have fun playing around with colors, striping, and different widths on the different sections.

Photos as always, Anders Rydell